Holiday shopping on a budget can be compared to art: with careful preparation and execution, it can become a masterpiece. Without it, it can fall apart as a disaster. Greater Community Bank is here to help you paint the proper brush strokes for a beautiful bank statement during the holidays.
- Make your naughty and nice list. Write out a list of everyone you want to gift for and their price limits, including charities or any other holiday expenses you expect to incur. (Don’t forget to add extra generic gifts in case you receive a surprise gift or forget someone!)
- Check it twice. Total your list budget and evaluate if you’re spending too much or have wiggle room for adjustments. Then keep close track of it to avoid unnecessary spending.
- Buy Santa’s gadgets from last year. If you’re looking at techy gifts for someone, consider buying a model that’s been out for a few months or a year to save money while still giving the device they want.
- Join the elf team. Many companies hire seasonal workers, and picking up those extra work hours can help supplement your gift funds.
- Don’t forget about sledding costs. While shipping fees can creep up on you, search for coupons to eliminate the cost or select a ship-to-store option. If you can cover several people’s gifts from the same retailer, one large order could also minimize your shipping expenses.
- You better watch out, better price check! The advertised “door busters” on many holiday sales are not that different throughout the season. Research your gifts ahead of time so you can identify what’s actually a good deal, and use your phone while in store to compare prices online.
- Make their heart grow three sizes that day. Giving personalized presents adds value to the gift, whether that’s framed pictures or homemade goodies of their favorite dessert.
- Relatives are comiiiiing to townnnn. Sometimes the most meaningful gift can be your time. Give small gifts and big hugs to your loved ones.
We hope these tips help you paint the perfect portrait of holiday cheer, so the smile on your face is as big when looking at your bank statement as it is on Christmas morning. From your GCB family, we wish you a joyful holiday season!